One of the most exciting times in a woman’s life is when she finds out she is expecting a baby. She is so excited about the prospect of being a mom, however having a baby has become an industry of products and recommendations; and you may be feeling a little overwhelmed with all the choices and decisions you have to make. My objective is to both simplify and summarize proven Wellness strategies for you to make your pregnancy the healthiest it can be!
• The reality is that most prenatal care is started too late – you should begin a Wellness program at least 6-9 months before conception. Some aspects of a wellness program include but not limited to; exercise, nutrition, stress management and Chiropractic.
• Please practice Wellness and not fadness – Just because it’s the latest thing doesn’t mean it’s the greatest thing. Whether it’s a new vitamin or exercise regimen, take a moment to discuss it with your Wellness care provider. Moms have been having babies for centuries without the “latest and greatest”.
• Don’t forget the importance of good nutrition – Processed foods are generally less healthy and most have the nutrients processed out of them. Make sure to eat fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats. Some special vitamins/nutrients to pay attention to are iron, essential fatty acids, vitamin B and folic acid.
• Avoid stress and over scheduling – Stress has been proven to have both negative effects on both your physical and biochemical health.
• Perform a combination of exercise – regular exercise such as walking, water aerobics, prenatal yoga or riding a recumbent stationary bicycle helps circulate more oxygen through your body as well as the fetus.
• Please avoid the following items as they have been shown negatively affect the health of the baby – medications including antibiotics, diuretics, antidepressants and anticonvulsants. (I understand at certain times, the benefits outweigh the risks). I shouldn’t even have to mention smoking.
• Do find a supportive healthcare and Wellness care team – Some members of this team may include a Chiropractor, Midwife, Doula, Massage Therapist and Lactation Consultant. There are some great resources out there for you to utilize.
• Visit your local Wellness Chiropractor – who has been educated in the spine and nervous system, the mind-body connection and the effects of pregnancy on these systems. There are several reasons to visit your Chiropractor because the position of your growing baby will cause your center of gravity to shift and your spine will naturally alter itself to accommodate this change. Some common reasons beside Wellness Care why a pregnant moms visits a Chiropractor:
Low back pain
In addition, research by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Associations has proven that:
84% of pregnant women treated by Chiropractic care received profound relief from low back pain.
Women who received Chiropractic care had nearly a 25% reduction in the average labor time verses “the generally accepted average labor time”.
Postpartum pain was relieved in 90 of 120 moms that received regular care.
More than just a treatment for low back pain, many mothers have come to recognize the vital role that Chiropractic care plays in a healthy pregnancy, reporting back to their Chiropractors that regular spinal adjustments helped them feel HEALTHIER, decreased morning sickness, facilitated shorter labor and delivery times and increased an overall sense of well-being.
Dr. Adam Glassman, DC, CACCP is a member of the ICPA, Holistic Pediatric Association, certified in the Webster Technique and currently serves as the President of The New York Chiropractic Council’s Nassau District. His office is located in Great Neck and can be reached at (516) 829-8099. Please feel free to learn more about Dr. Glassman at http://dreamwellness.com/custom_content/c_103472_adam_glassman_chiropractor.html