If you have never experienced the intimacy of a one-ring circus, then you are in for a treat as the Big Apple Circus comes to town in their annual Queens engagement at Cunningham Park from May 21-June 5.
Queens Mamas had the pleasure of attending this performance in previews and we can tell you that it will delight kids of all ages and parents alike. Now in its 33rd season, this years show, titled Dance On!, brings back so many of the old and wonderful familiar faces that fans of this circus have come to know and love including the always lovable Grandma the Clown, along with amazing new acts from across the globe including:
* From China, the Wuqiao Acrobatic Troupe — the highly skilled and superbly talented troupe perform a powerful lasso act and an acrobatic ensemble on monocycles!
* From America, the talented, irrepressible, delightful comic Mark Gindick takes a witty turn under the Big Top as the Man Who Dances!
* From Ethiopia, Girma Tshehai — a charming performer who excites with an act of juggling and percussion combined!
* From America, the beautiful Jenny Vidbel fills the ring with a playful chorus line of 12 white mini-horses!
* From Africa, The Kenyan Boys pump up the fun with a high-energy dance and pole act with feats of incredible strength and agility preformed to the contagious rhythms of world beat music!
* From Russia, lovely and graceful Regina Dobrovitskaya embarks on a romantic trip to the heavens on her cloud swing!
* From America, Rob Torres — the sweet and playful “International Man of Mirth” pokes fun and laughter throughout the Big Top!
* From Mongolia, X Bud Roses Troupe — these five mysterious young ladies dazzle and amaze with a contortion act of strength and flexibility that will leave the audience spellbound!
With no seat more then 50 feet for the stage, each and every kids face will light up at the joy of being so close to these performers.
The Big Apple Circus is a not-for-profit performing arts and outreach institution dedicated to bringing its special magic to diverse audiences through its outreach programs including their wonderful Clown Cares and Circus for All! programs.
Dance On! begins on Saturday, May 21st and runs for 26 performances through Sunday, June 5th, 2011, under the Big Top at Cunningham Park, Queens (Union Turnpike, just west of Francis Lewis Boulevard, in Fresh Meadows). This will be the only Queens/Long Island appearance by the Big Apple Circus this year.
Tickets for Dance On! start at $15 and are available by calling (888) 541-3750 or at bigapplecircus.org. The Circus Box Office located in front of the Big Top at Cunningham Park, will open Friday, May 20th; hours are Tues–Fri, 10AM–8PM; Sat–Mon, 10AM–6PM. For groups of 15 people or more or for inquiries about wheelchair–accessible seating or for any additional information please call the Ticket Info Line at (800) 922-3772