I love making ice cream cupcakes, especially for kids’ parties, because they require no baking and can be done up to a week in advance. This Halloween I know I’d rather spend my time getting our costumes together than making anything from scratch right before party-time.
I used mini peanut butter cups for the spider bodies and chocolate peanut butter ice cream for the filling, but you can use any flavor you like. To make the webs and spiders’ legs, I found some tubes of easy to use cake-decorating icing in the baking aisle of the supermarket. Let your kids help you decorate; sprinkles, candy corn, or really any extra Halloween candy can work.
To make one dozen you’ll need:
- 1 store-bought chocolate loaf cake, sliced
- 1.5 quarts of chocolate peanut butter ice cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dozen mini peanut butter cups
- 1 tube each of cake-decorating icing in black, red, and or orange
- Cupcake liners
- One 12-cup muffin tin
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Use a small round cookie-cutter or glass to cut 12 circles out of each slice of cake, and then lay each circle in a muffin cup.
- Top each piece of cake with a scoop of ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
- Whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla together. Top the chilled ice cream cupcakes with whipped cream using a pastry bag or spatula. Put back in the freezer to chill until firm (about an hour).
- Now you’re ready to decorate! Remove cupcakes from freezer one at a time to decorate, so they won’t melt as you work.
To make the webs: Use black decorating icing to make a simple X design. Add more lines to make a criss-cross design, then add connecting lines of the web.
To make spiders: Press a mini peanut butter cup into the cupcake (it will give, even though it’s frozen). Then use decorating icing to make legs, eyes, or a silly face on your spider.
Mamas Helpful Tip: Don’t worry about making your designs perfect. I like to make every cupcake a little different. After all, in nature no two spider webs ever look exactly alike.
Freeze decorated cupcakes at least 4 hours, or in a large covered container for up to a week, before serving. Have fun and enjoy your Spooky Spider Ice Cream Cupcakes!