For those parents of children who will be starting Kindergarten in September, this is for you. The admission process is currently underway, and all applications need to be submitted by March 2, 2012. We gathered the necessary information and resources available to help you navigate the process. Check it out!
If your son or daughter was born in 2007, they are eligible for enrollment in Kindergarten. The applications are NOT based on a first come, first served basis, which means every application is treated the same. The Dept. of Education Elementary School Directory can help you determine what school you’re zoned for, and what your options are. You can check it out here. You can also call 311 if you’re not quite sure what zone you’re in.
The applications must be filled out in person at the school(s) of choice, and there are important documents you need to bring with you in order to complete the application.
Proof of residence:
This consists of any two of the following documents:
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name and dated within the last 60 days;
- Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident’s name and address and dated within the last 60 days;
- An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
- A current property tax bill for the residence;
- A water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;
- Official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days, such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead will not be accepted)
Plus You Need to Bring:
- Child’s birth certificate or passport;
- Names of any siblings who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in September 2012.
Dates & Deadlines
- Applications must be completed by March 2, 2012
- Parents will be notified of assignment offers starting on March 19, 2012 through March 23, 2012
- To accept an offer, families must visit the school that made the offer with their children between March 26, 2012 and April 20, 2012 to pre-register.
For more information on the admissions process, or to find your zoned school, visit the Department of Education.