If you’ve been to LIC Market then you know that the charming restaurant, tucked away amidst the buildings in Long Island City’s business district, is quietly churning out reliably fresh, seasonal and well-prepared food. The atmosphere is relaxed and the white-washed walls are the perfect backdrop for the artwork on display. Yes, they do feature the work of local artists, but the other works of art not to be missed are the specialty food items sold in the restaurant’s marketplace.
Shelves lining the walls toward the front of the restaurant are filled with unique gourmet items for sale. Much of what you’ll find has come straight out of Chef Alex Schindler’s kitchen, or is often featured on his menu. Browse what’s available on any given day and you’ll find everything from house-made cashew butter, pickled vegetables, sauces, bars of (Queens-based) Antidote chocolate, imported olive oils, fair-trade organic coffee, French lentils, Maldon Sea Salt, and more. Pick up a few key items to bring home to your pantry so that any night of the week you’ll have a delicious secret weapon to add to your own cooking. Try out the recipe below and see how quickly a chicken dinner can go from commonplace to extraordinary.
BBQ Pulled-Chicken Sandwiches with Pickled Red Onions
- 1 jar of LIC Market’s Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1 jar of LIC Market’s Pickled Red Onions
- 2-2.5 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 4 soft onion or brioche buns
- Whisk together ¼ cup of Chipotle BBQ Sauce with 1 cup of water. Place chicken thighs in a large pot, season with salt, then pour BBQ sauce mixture over the top. The liquid should come up the sides, but not fully cover the chicken.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and bring up to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook, covered, for 20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred meat with a fork, pair of tongs or your fingers. The meat will be tender and separate easily. Warm the remaining Chipotle BBQ sauce in a saucepan and toss in chicken until fully coated.
- Serve BBQ Pulled Chicken on buns topped with LIC Market’s sweet and tangy Pickled Red Onions. Pair it with a parsley salad of bell pepper and sweet corn or any vegetable you like.
LIC Market: Restaurant and Market with a focus on seasonal, local ingredients. Serving Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch and Dinner.
When: Monday-Tuesday 7am-4pm, Wednesday-Friday 7am-3:30pm & 6pm-10pm, Brunch served Saturday-Sunday 11am-4pm, Happy Hour with half priced drinks every Wednesday-Friday 5:30pm-7pm
Where: 21-52 44th Drive, LIC (just West of 23rd St.); 718.361.0013
By Vivian Cardinale