With the kind of weather we’ve been facing, it’s important to have enough supplies in case of an emergency. The NYC Office of Emergency Management has a list of suggested supplies for every family. Check it out here.
- One gallon of drinking water per person per day
- Non-perishable, ready-to-eat canned foods and manual can opener
- First aid kit
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries (you can also buy wind-up radios that do not require batteries)
- Personal hygiene items: soap, feminine hygiene products, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.
- Phone that does not rely on electricity
- Child care supplies or other special care items
- If you have pets, be sure to have enough food for them on hand, as well as their own drinking water.
It’s also important to have an evacuation plan in order, especially if you live in zones prone to flooding and evacuations. For a list of local shelters, click here. Also if you have pets, have a contingency plan ready for them as well – do not leave them behind.
For more information, visit OEM.