Hurricane Sandy Relief: Filing a Claim with FEMA

Photo by Kate Falzarano

If your home, business, even apartment suffered damage as a result of Sandy, you can register for federal assistance for repairs. But as with most things involving the government, it’s easy to get confused while going through the process. has broken it down for you.

“As the city is reeling from Hurricane Sandy, help from the federal government is on the way.

President Obama on Tuesday signed off on major federal disaster relief funds for New York City and New Jersey.

Anyone affected by Sandy, including homeowners, renters, and businesses, can call the Federal Emergency Managment Agency (FEMA) at 800-621-3362 (FEMA) or visit to register for federal disaster assistance.

Help from FEMA includes grants for home repairs, temporary housing and low-interest loans for residential losses. Small business owners can also apply for grants for property damage.”

Read more: