It’s almost Earth Day, so check out one of the cool celebrations happening; in addition to Earth Day celebrations, there are many other exciting events. Below we’ve listed our top picks for this weekend.
1. Children’s Carnival at the Queens County Farm: Carnival in the Apple Orchard! Rides, games, prizes, and children’s entertainment
When: April 13-14 & 20-21 (hours: 11-6)
Where: 73-50 Little Neck Pkwy
Cost: $11.00 per person all ages to enter the farm grounds (Carnival rides included at no additional charge. Height rules apply.) Free with Farm Membership Plus
2. Sixth Annual National Grid Earth Day Celebration at the Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts (Brooklyn Campus) Children and adults alike will enjoy live music, arts and crafts, and street performers; the event highlights our need for sustainable living and greater caring for the earth
When: April 13 (3 pm)
Where: Outdoor Event on the Great Artists Plaza (directly in front of the Walt Whitman Theatre entrance)
3. Bash the Trash’s Tales of Anasi: In honor of Earth Day, the environmental performance group Bash the Trash presents a storytelling concert that features Anansi the trickster, one of the most important characters in West African and Caribbean folklore.
Where: Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts
When: April 13 (2 pm)
4. Habana Works Earth Day Expo: On Saturday, April 13th we’ll be opening our doors for the first time this year to celebrate the Habana Outpost restaurant re-opening and Earth Day! The expo will be a day filled with eco-friendly fun – Habana style of courseThe Earth Day Expo will involve a variety of guests, who also promote environmentalism and social responsibility.
Where: Cafe Works (757 Fulton St)
When: April 13 & 14
5. Science Playground: NY Hall of Science: Designed for children of all ages, Science Playground exhibits include a giant lever, Archimedes screw and water play area, wind pipes, a climbing net, slides, sand boxes and metal drums.
Where: NYHS 47-01 111th St
When: now – Dec 31 (weather permitting)
Cost: Admission for a 45-minute session is $4 per person, plus general NYSCI admission
6. Bring Your Own Kids Concert Series: Joanie Leeds and the Nightlights
Where: 92Y Tribeca (200 Hudson Street)
When: Sunday April 14
7. Books of Wonder: New York Children’s Theater Festival Special Story time: Books of Wonder invites all our friends to a very special storytime which will showcase this years 3 plays and feature acting, singing, storytelling and much more!
Where: 18 W 18th St, (between Fifth and Sixth Aves)
When: Sunday April 14 at noon
8. La MaMa Kids “The Magic Pot” with Julia Martin – a series of creative workshops for the young and the young at heart. Master artists from La MaMa teach theatre crafts in workshops that encourage imaginative play and hands-on learning. Children and adults learn the basics of storytelling, dance, mask and puppet-making, and more!
Where: Ellen Stewart Theatre Lobby
66 East 4th Street (bet. Bowery & 2nd Ave)
When: Saturday mornings at 11 (every second saturday of the month (April 13)). Ages: 4-10
9. “Totally Tots”: Brooklyn Children’s Museum: Totally Tots is the Museum’s early-learner exhibit—just for children 5 and under (and their grown-ups)—a colorful, whimsical world where kids are in charge
Neighborhood: Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Where: 145 Brooklyn Avenue Brooklyn, NY
When: Until Dec. 31
Cost: $9.00 per person.
When: until May 27
Cost: see website
Enjoy the weekend!